After a mere 3.5 hours total in the hospital [which may or may not have included a brief stop at Ben and Jerry's for some post-op ice cream], we are home with one sweet Sadie Bess.
Let me just say, the girl is a rock star!
She was happy as can be in the waiting room chewing on my hair. When daddy tried to hold her for a minute, she was bummed to miss out her hair snack. Poor girl was definitely hungry.
Let me just say, the girl is a rock star!
She was happy as can be in the waiting room chewing on my hair. When daddy tried to hold her for a minute, she was bummed to miss out her hair snack. Poor girl was definitely hungry.
She perked up back in pre-op after a change of clothes and some fun toys with lights that nurse Jane brought for her.
She drifted off in my arms for twenty minutes or so before the nurses came to get her.

I'm not sure if she even woke up during the hand off to go back to surgery because I saw her all snuggled into the surgery nurse as they walked down the hallway. I didn't even cry.
It was truly surprising to see the doctor 15 minutes later and hear that all was well. Ten minutes after that, she was snuggled into my arms. My arms feel so empty when she is in the operating room, and I love the heaviness of her afterwards. She was happy to gulp down a bottle of pedialyte and apple juice and kept it down so we were good to go. It was really that easy.
She's a little top heavy and a bit unsteady so we have to watch her and hold her a little more carefully. She's napping now and we'll hope that her solids go down uneventfully this evening. Whew. A few ear drops and we're good to go!
I will say that I half expected her to be a little overwhelmed by the noise post-op. At this point, there is some uncertainty about the status of her hearing. There is some normal function, we're just not sure if there is a problem other than the fluid. She didn't really seem to be hearing any better than she was before the surgery. The girl's been through a lot so I'm not making any decisions about what is or is not happening at this point, but there was no immediate change in her noticing the noise around her. And there were quite a few beeps from all the machines!
Time is the great revealer of all things, and I am certain we will have more information as she recovers. We have a follow up appointment with the surgeon in early October and we will repeat some of her testing at that point to determine what we need to do next. In the mean time, I will bump up the amount of sign language that I am doing with her. [This was the advice of a woman I connected with at Bo's school. A gal in Bo's class has a younger brother with cleft lip and palate and the mom has already been a great help in terms of advice!]
Thank you so much for your calls, emails, texts, and prayers today.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
I'm not sure if she even woke up during the hand off to go back to surgery because I saw her all snuggled into the surgery nurse as they walked down the hallway. I didn't even cry.
It was truly surprising to see the doctor 15 minutes later and hear that all was well. Ten minutes after that, she was snuggled into my arms. My arms feel so empty when she is in the operating room, and I love the heaviness of her afterwards. She was happy to gulp down a bottle of pedialyte and apple juice and kept it down so we were good to go. It was really that easy.
She's a little top heavy and a bit unsteady so we have to watch her and hold her a little more carefully. She's napping now and we'll hope that her solids go down uneventfully this evening. Whew. A few ear drops and we're good to go!
I will say that I half expected her to be a little overwhelmed by the noise post-op. At this point, there is some uncertainty about the status of her hearing. There is some normal function, we're just not sure if there is a problem other than the fluid. She didn't really seem to be hearing any better than she was before the surgery. The girl's been through a lot so I'm not making any decisions about what is or is not happening at this point, but there was no immediate change in her noticing the noise around her. And there were quite a few beeps from all the machines!
Time is the great revealer of all things, and I am certain we will have more information as she recovers. We have a follow up appointment with the surgeon in early October and we will repeat some of her testing at that point to determine what we need to do next. In the mean time, I will bump up the amount of sign language that I am doing with her. [This was the advice of a woman I connected with at Bo's school. A gal in Bo's class has a younger brother with cleft lip and palate and the mom has already been a great help in terms of advice!]
Thank you so much for your calls, emails, texts, and prayers today.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

2 comments:
So glad to hear that everything went well today. I've been teaching a little sign language to MA and the Signing Times DVDs are a great help! I will continue to pray for you all and little Sadie.
So glad to hear that she did well and the surgery is over. I will keep praying for her and you as you see what this means for her hearing in the future! It was great to see you guys on Skype the other day. Hope you have a great weekend
Post a Comment